In September 2009, I joined the FitCity Indianapolis team as a FitCity mom blogger. I was overweight, out of shape and ready to make a change. Here we are, nearly three years later and I am overweight, out of shape and needing to make a change…again. What’s happened in those months between has been one wild ride.
I’ve lost weight — almost 30 pounds. I’ve gained weight. I’ve started thinking about food and exercise differently. I’ve shared some successes I’ve had getting my kids to eat better and asked for input on how to encourage them without being a pushy, nagging mom.
But most of all, I’ve learned some lessons:
- Change is hard, but not impossible. Even though the manner in which I’m crossing the FitCity finish line is not as I would have envisioned it, I am finishing a changed woman.
- There can be joy in exercise. That seems like an oxymoron, but I have made friends with the elliptical machine and have come to relish the quiet time that a morning walk can bring.
- Lead by example is truth. My kids will do what they see. So if my after dinner routine involves sitting on the couch and watching TV, they will likely do the same. If I go for a bike ride or a walk, very often they will ask to join me.
- Making healthy choices is possible for busy families — but it takes some planning ahead. Packing carrots and grapes as snacks for a long drive keeps hungry kids happy and allows us to avoid hitting the drive-thru.
- The village is not just for child-rearing. One of the best benefits of working with FitCity for the past three years has been getting to know the other FitCity mom bloggers. This group of amazing women has been a village of cheerleaders as I’ve navigated the hills and valleys of the pursuit of good health for my family and myself.
Thanks FitCity. You’ll be missed.